1. Remove spyware and viruses :Spyware collects personal information without letting you know and without asking for permission. From the websites you visit to user names and passwords, spyware can put you and your confidential information at risk. In addition to privacy concerns, spyware can hamper your computer's performance.For that you need to install a good antivirus and spyware .For more on this check my blog Free anti-virus.
2. Free up disk space : The Disk Cleanup tool helps you to free up space on your hard disk to improve the performance of your computer.If you want a free software to clean your disk use Ccleaner download now ccleaner download
3. Disk fragmentation : Disk fragmentation slows the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk as file is opened (to piece it back together). The response time can be significantly longer.To use Disk Defragmenter:
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Disk Defragmenter.
- In the Disk Defragmenter dialog box, click the drives that you want to defragment, and then click the Analyze disk button. After the disk is analyzed, a dialog box appears, letting you know whether you should defragment the analyzed drives.
Tip: You should analyze a volume before defragmenting it to get an estimate of how long the defragmentation process will take.
- To defragment the selected drive or drives, click the Defragment disk button. In the Current status area, under the Progress column, you can monitor the process as it happens. After the defragmentation is complete, Disk Defragmenter displays the results.
- To display detailed information about the defragmented disk or partition, click View Report.
- To close the View Report dialog box, click Close.
- You can also schedule the Disk Defragmenter to run automatically. (Your computer might even be set up this way by default.) Under Schedule, it reads Scheduled defragmentation is turned on and then displays the time of day and frequency of defragmentation. If you want to turn off automatic defragmentation or to change the time or frequency, click Configure schedule (or Turn on Schedule, if it is not currently configured to run automatically). Change the settings, and then click OK.
- To close the Disk Defragmenter utility, on the title bar of the window, click the Close button.
4. Detect and repair disk errors
In addition to running Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter to optimize the performance of your computer, you can check the integrity of the files stored on your hard disk by running the Error Checking utility.
As you use your hard drive, it can develop bad sectors. Bad sectors slow down hard disk performance and sometimes make data writing (such as file saving) difficult or even impossible. The Error Checking utility scans the hard drive for bad sectors and scans for file system errors to see whether certain files or folders are misplaced.
If you use your computer daily, you should run this utility once a week to help prevent data loss.
Run the Error Checking utility:
- Close all open files.
- Click Start, and then click Computer.
- In the Computer window (My Computer in Windows XP), right-click the hard disk you want to search for bad sectors, and then click Properties.
- In the Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab.
- Click the Check Now button.
- In the Check Disk dialog box (called Error-checking in Windows 7), select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
- If bad sectors are found, choose to fix them
5. Registry Cleaner : There are lot of Registry cleaner you can buy but if you want to use a free one you should try Ccleaner .you should clean your registry once a week as registry is a database in which Windows keeps track of relationships between hardware, software and the operating system. ccleaner download
6. ReadyBoost:If you're using Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you can use ReadyBoost to speed up your system. A new concept in adding memory to a system, it allows you to use non-volatile flash memory—like a USB flash drive or a memory card—to improve performance without having to add additional memorywatch this video :